Doctor Oz did a Recipe Showdown between two of his viewers to find the most delicious healthy meatloaf recipe. Dr Oz decided that Elizabeth’s meatloaf recipe below was his favorite, because it had a bit of a spicy kick. If you are looking for a weight loss tip, try substituting lean turkey meat in your favorite meatloaf recipe!
Dr Oz & Elizabeth’s Spicy Healthy Meatloaf
2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
3 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 onion, finely diced
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
1/2 green pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
1/4 tbsp cumin
1/4 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tbsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup of plain tomato sauce
1 tbsp chili in Adobo sauce (from the can)
1 chili in Adobo, finely diced (from the can)
Salt, pepper to taste
1/2 cup salsa (non-chunky works best)
1 tsp chili in adobo sauce (from the can)
1/2 tbsp honey
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease a baking sheet.
3. Saute the onion, garlic, and bell peppers over medium heat for a few minutes and allow the sauteed veggies to cool for a few minutes.
4. Mix together the ground turkey meat, egg, whole wheat breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, chili, chili sauce, frozen corn, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper.
5. Mix the sauteed vegetables into the turkey meat mixture.
6. Form a loaf out of the meat mixture on the oiled baking sheet.
7. Top the meatloaf with the topping glaze.
8. Loosely cover the meatloaf with aluminum foil.
9. Cook the meatloaf for 30 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil. Cook for another 15 minutes.