Dr Oz was asked by Russell Simmons for some well balanced meals for vegans, since he is a vegan. Well luckily, Doctor Oz happened to have Emeril Lagasse on his show at the same time, and so Emeril put together what looked like a delicious White Bean & Tuscan Kale Stew Recipe. I have gone back and forth between eating meat and being a vegetarian, so I definitely have a tendency for loving vegetarian recipes. I especially loved the last minute addition where Emeril sprinkled some toasted walnuts on top to get in some Omega 3′s, which are often lacking in a vegetarian diet.
Dr Oz & Emeril White Bean & Kale Stew Recipe
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 small red onion, sliced
1 1/2 lbs Tuscan kale, rinsed, patted dry, and cut crosswise into 1-inch wide slices
3/4 tsp kosher salt, plus more if needed
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more if needed
3 1/2 cups cooked white beans, or 2 (15-oz) cans cannellini beans or white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup canned diced tomatoes, with their juices
1/2 cup vegetable stock, or canned low-sodium vegetable broth
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
*optional* walnuts for toasting and sprinkling on top
1. Over medium- high heat, warm up your pan and add the olive oil.
2. Cook the garlic, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and red onion until the onion wilts and the garlic becomes golden. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the kale and seasonings (salt and pepper). Cook for another couple of minutes.
4. Add the stock, white beans and tomatoes.
5. Cook for around 15 minutes or until the kale is completely cooked through.
6. Serve with a bit of olive oil drizzled and toasted walnuts sprinkled on the top if you would like.